Monday, September 23, 2013

Change is good.

Everything I've heard about academics in college has come true.

This isn't a bad thing, but classes have definitely given me a reality check. In high school, I was always a "strategic" learner. This means that I would study in order to make good grades, maintain my 4.0 GPA, and get into my dream colleges. Although most people aren't willing to admit it, we are conditioned to learn this way. From elementary school, teachers and parents say, "Study for your test! Make good grades!" Therefore, we study to earn high marks rather than to learn the material.

Before coming to college, I resolved to ditch this "strategic" learning habit once and for all. I want to gain knowledge from my classes and actually REMEMBER the things I learn instead of cram studying. This is also a sign that I'm ready to use intrinsic motivators to accomplish things. Instead of relying on outside motivators to get me to do my work or study, I know I will study in order to better myself. 

Switching learning styles and working for pleasure is a big change for me, but I know it will be extremely rewarding. I'm ready for a lifestyle change and I can't wait to see where it takes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment