Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Perfectionism and the learning process

High school was an extremely competitive time for me. Between classes, homework, marching band, the All-State process, and other extracurriculars, I would often find myself getting caught up in trying to fix small problems. When I look back on those four years, I often realize how thankful I am for my flute lesson teacher at the time. Dr. Terri Sanchez was exactly what I needed and represents everything I hope to be: compassionate, intelligent, relaxed, profound, creative, and full of wisdom that helped me with all things flute and beyond. During our lessons, she would pull the imagination out of me (oftentimes by making me impersonate or sing what I wanted in my playing) and she helped me loosen up quite a bit. She is the reason why I seek, not perfection, but excellence in everything I do. Terri is the first person who ever told me "not to sweat the small stuff." People used to laud me on my perfectionism before; however, after Terri entered my life, I realized that perfectionism really hinders the creative process that musicians and artists strive for. Now, I know that an open mind and a positive attitude can solve almost any problem life throws at us. Terri pulled out the true artist in me, and I cannot thank her enough for that.

Learning is an ongoing cycle. I know that I am not done with the creative process and I will never be done. I will never finish discovering things about myself, my mind, and the way I view the world. For us to progress as individuals and as a race, we must keep asking ourself: "now what? And then what? And then?" Only through the process of question and answer will humans continue to devise new explanations for existing ideas and invent solutions for existing problems. So here's to our bright and happy future. May we always be blessed with the curiosity to learn and the drive to succeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment